BOTOX vs. Dysport: Which One Is Right for You?7 min read
How many times have you found yourself daydreaming about a younger, more confident look, free from those pesky fine lines and wrinkles? How many times have you wished for the smoother, plumper skin of your youth?
We at Aesthetica are here to tell you that all of your dreams are one step away from reality! Our team of experts, led by Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon Dr. Phillip Chang, wields a powerful arsenal of minimally invasive tools that will address your natural aging signs in a quick, painless manner!
But before we can reset the clock on your facial look, it’s time to choose the right treatment approach for you. The Internet is buzzing with scores of procedures, each with its own strengths and shortcomings. Two of these treatments, BOTOX and Dysport, are touted as the kings of facial rejuvenation. But how do we know whether BOTOX or Dysport is the answer to your aesthetic imperfections?
Understanding the Basics of BOTOX and Dysport
BOTOX is a brand name for an injectable neurotoxin called onabotulinumtoxinA. It’s made from a bacterium called Clostridium botulinum, which serves a variety of cosmetic purposes when used in small, controlled doses.
Plastic surgeons nationwide use BOTOX to treat dynamic wrinkles (i.e., the wrinkles that form due to repeated muscle movements). These wrinkles typically appear around the eyes, forehead, and mouth. BOTOX works by blocking the signals that travel from the nerves to the muscles, preventing the muscles from contracting and causing wrinkles!
Dysport is also an injectable neurotoxin that’s used to treat dynamic wrinkles. It’s made from a slightly different form of the botulinum toxin called abobotulinumtoxinA. Akin to BOTOX, Dysport works by blocking nerve signals to the muscles, preventing them from contracting!
What Are The Main Differences Between BOTOX and Dysport?
While BOTOX and Dysport are both injectable neurotoxins that treat dynamic wrinkles, there are some key differences between the two treatments that determine the suitable treatment avenue for you:
- Dosage: The dosages of BOTOX and Dysport are not equivalent, which means that a higher amount of Dysport may be required to achieve the same results as BOTOX (i.e., a conversion rate of 3:1). Dr. Chang will determine the appropriate dosage for you based on the treatment area and your aesthetic needs.
- Molecular structure: BOTOX and Dysport have different molecular structures, affecting result longevity and how they spread in the treatment area. Dysport has a smaller molecule size than BOTOX, allowing it to spread faster and cover a wider treatment area.
- The onset of action: Some studies have suggested that Dysport has a faster onset of action than BOTOX (24 hours compared to BOTOX’s 72 hours), meaning that patients see results faster after each treatment session. However, the onset of action depends on other factors as well, such as the dosage and the treatment area.
- Result longevity: Studies suggest that the effects of BOTOX may last up to six months, compared to three to four months for Dysport. However, you can improve your result longevity by following Dr. Chang’s recommendations and leading a healthy lifestyle.
What Are the Pros and Cons of BOTOX and Dysport?
Pros of BOTOX
- BOTOX is FDA-approved: BOTOX has been approved by the FDA since 2002 and has been used by millions of people worldwide as a safe and effective treatment for reducing the appearance of wrinkles!
- BOTOX is versatile: BOTOX can treat a wide range of cosmetic concerns, including fine lines and wrinkles, as well as excessive sweating, migraines, and muscle spasms.
- BOTOX is long-lasting: While the effects of BOTOX may wear off after a few months, it is still a longer-lasting treatment than many other cosmetic treatments available. Most people report stunning results when scheduling touch-up treatment sessions a few times a year.
Cons of BOTOX
- The costs of BOTOX can add up: BOTOX treatments require financial planning, particularly if you need to have them regularly. The cost of BOTOX can vary depending on where you live and where you get the treatment done.
- BOTOX is slightly painful: While BOTOX injections are generally not painful, some patients experience discomfort during the treatment. This can be particularly true if you have sensitive skin. However, this side effect will only bother you briefly after the procedure.
- BOTOX can cause side effects: While rare, some patients experience side effects from BOTOX injections, such as headaches, bruising, or allergic reactions.
Pros of Dysport
- Dysport may be more affordable: Dysport can be less expensive than BOTOX ($4 per unit in 2019, compared to $10-15 per unit of BOTOX), making it a more attractive option for patients who are on a budget.
- Dysport has a faster onset of action: Dysport injections take effect more quickly than BOTOX injections, allowing patients to enjoy their much-desired results sooner!
Cons of Dysport
- Dysport is less versatile than BOTOX: While Dysport is primarily used to treat wrinkles, it may be less effective for other cosmetic concerns, such as excessive sweating or migraines.
- Dysport can cause side effects: While rare, some people may experience side effects from Dysport injections, such as bruising, headaches, or allergic reactions.
How Should I Choose Between BOTOX and Dysport?
Finally, the choice between BOTOX and Dysport rests upon your individual goals and preferences, as well as your medical history and any underlying health conditions. Both BOTOX and Dysport are safe and effective treatments when administered by a licensed professional. To determine which option is best for you, schedule a consultation with one of our experienced injectors to evaluate your skin health and discuss your treatment options. They will recommend the most appropriate course of action based on your unique needs and goals!
Are BOTOX and Dysport Injections Safe?
Both BOTOX and Dysport are FDA-approved and have been used for decades to correct signs of natural aging. They are both made from a purified form of the botulinum toxin type A, which is a protein that temporarily relaxes the muscles in the treated area. When administered correctly by a trained and licensed medical professional, these injections are considered safe and cause minimal side effects.
However, as with any medical procedure, there are some potential risks and side effects associated with BOTOX and Dysport injections, such as:
- Drooping eyelids
- Muscle weakness
- Redness at the injection site
It is essential to choose a reputable provider with years of experience administering BOTOX and Dysport injections to minimize the risk of complications. Inform your provider of any medical conditions you have or medications you are taking before receiving treatment.
Which Treatment Works Best For Fine Lines and Wrinkles?
Both BOTOX and Dysport are derived from the botulinum toxin type A and work by temporarily paralyzing the muscles that cause wrinkles. However, Dysport is known to spread faster and diffuse over a larger area than BOTOX. This makes Dysport an excellent option for treating larger areas, such as forehead wrinkles!
On the other hand, BOTOX is known for its precise and targeted application, making it ideal for treating smaller areas, such as crow’s feet and frown lines. It also tends to last longer than Dysport, with results lasting up to six months compared to Dysport’s three to four months!
Start Your Seamless Skin Rejuvenation Experience With Aesthetica!
Ready for your BOTOX? Come meet with us at 19500 Sandridge Way, Suite 350, Leesburg, VA 20176, or call us at (703) 574-4342 for a complimentary consultation with Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon Dr. Phillip Chang before moving forward with your procedure! If everything matches up, our team will help you navigate the entire process, from beginning to end! Also, don’t forget to check out our blog and social media for more information on plastic surgery and plastic surgery trends!
Let Us Help You!
Our office can provide you with helpful information, schedule a free consultation, and walk you through the many services and procedures we provide.
Contact Dr. Chang's Office:
More Articles For You
Discover the transformative power of BBL Laser for rosacea with before-and-after insights. Learn how this advanced treatment targets symptoms for long-term relief and minimal downtime.
After pregnancy, many new mothers long to regain their pre-pregnancy physique, or simply wish to feel more confident in their new skin. This is where the concept of a “Mommy Makeover” comes into play, a suite of cosmetic procedures specifically tailored to address the physical effects of childbearing.