How Should I Prepare for My Facelift Surgery?
Have you decided to have facelift surgery, but you feel overwhelmed? This is a perfectly normal emotion to experience. But before everything, you have to inform yourself about the procedure you’re about to partake in. A facelift can be pretty overwhelming, but there is nothing to be afraid of.
Facelift and Plastic Surgery
You may find yourself asking: “What is facelift surgery?” “What does it consist of?” A facelift is a cosmetic surgical procedure in which your face skin is altered to make you appear younger. The surgery reduces the saggy skin of your jawline and cheeks, tightening your face skin and accentuating your facial shape.
The surgery consists of taking a flap of skin on each side of your face and pulling it back towards the ears. The tissue under the skin is surgically changed for a better appearance. The plastic surgeon will remove any other excess skin before finishing the surgery.
A facelift can be pricey, depending on your region. The average price of a facelift surgery sits somewhere around $8,000. Keep in mind that this price may not include the operating room facilities, anesthesia, surgeon’s fee, or medication. This is why you have to inform yourself if the facelift price includes these facilities.
Facelift Ideal Candidates
Usually, the perfect candidates for facelift are older patients. As we get older, our skin becomes loose and changes our facial appearance. This process is perfectly normal, but that doesn’t mean we can’t do anything about it.
People who opt for this surgery exhibit the following issues:
- Loose skin around the cheeks zone;
- Excess skin on the lower jaw;
- Loose skin on the neck;
- Saggy skin around the nose and corners of the mouth.
You have to remember that a facelift is a serious surgical procedure. It’s not recommended to undergo surgery if you’re only looking for a fast way to get rid of superficial wrinkles and creased skin around the nose and upper lip.
What to Do before a Facelift Procedure
As with any other surgery, a few steps need to be followed to prepare you and your body for the surgery.
- Your surgeon will probably instruct you not to eat the night before the surgery. Listen to your plastic surgeon as this is vital for a successful surgery.
- If you are a smoker, you will have to stop smoking for at least six weeks before the surgery. Smoking is a well-known cause of complications during surgeries.
- Stay away from medicine such as Advil or any other anti-inflammatory medication.
- Prepare your home and especially your bedroom before undergoing surgery. Keep everything from socks to your TV remote control on the nightstand. The last thing you will need is to find that dreaded phone charger.
Before scheduling a facelift surgery, you will have your initial consultation. During this consultation, you will discuss the goals you would like your facelift to achieve with your plastic surgeon. In addition, you will find out if you are the ideal candidate to undergo such a surgery and if your wishes are achievable.
Other details you will cover are:
- Allergies to anesthesia and other medicine;
- Risks and expectations;
- Aftercare through your recovery period;
- Side effects.
You will have to inform your surgeon about your health history, current medical conditions, and if you are on any medication or going through treatment.
Preparing for Your Facelift Surgery
Before a facelift surgery, the most important thing you have to do is follow your surgeon’s instructions. After having your initial consultation, your surgeon will tell you if you have to go off treatment or stop taking a specific medication.
Keeping your body and mind healthy is essential as well. Try avoiding any unhealthy foods such as fast-food and deep-fried dishes. If you feel overwhelmed by the thought of going under surgery, talk with your plastic surgeon — there is no one better to explain everything to you.
The Day of Your Facelift Procedure Is Here!
Follow these steps when the day of the surgery arrives:
- Bring T-shirts or tops that are easy to put on. Take an oversized T-shirt or a zip-up hoodie with you, as they are easy to put on and quite comfortable. You won’t be allowed to touch your face through the recovery period, so avoid tight clothes.
- Keep in mind that you will go under anesthesia. If this is something you are not comfortable with, have your plastic surgeon talk you through the process.
- Wash your face and hair with a germicidal soap approved by your surgeon.
Have a trusted family member or friend pick you up after the surgery or keep you company in the next 24 hours. You may not be able to perform certain activities, so having someone by your side is crucial.
Facelift Recovery Tips
The recovery period usually takes around three weeks, so be prepared. Besides the steps your surgeon will have you follow, you can keep a few tips in mind:
- Do not pick at your face skin or scabs. Scabs are a sign of your skin healing, so you will only slow down the entire process by picking on them.
- Use only soap and shampoo approved by your plastic surgeon.
- Switch to clothes that don’t require to be pulled over the head for a few weeks.
- Stay away from makeup and creams completely.
- Avoid direct contact with sunlight. You will probably be allowed to use sunscreen creams.
Avoid any activities that will make you sweat. Sports and aerobic activities are off the table for the first three weeks.
Ready to Undergo Your Very Own Facelift Procedure?
Undergoing surgery can be pretty overwhelming, but there is nothing more important than fulfilling your aesthetic wishes and recovering your self-confidence. So don’t let anyone talk you out of something that you know will change you for the better!
Ready to undergo your very own facelift surgery? Come meet with us at Aesthetica Cosmetic Surgery and Laser Center for a complimentary consultation before moving forward with surgery! Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Dr. Phillip Chang will determine if you are a good candidate for these procedures. If everything matches up, our team will help you navigate the entire process, from beginning to the end! Also, don’t forget to check out our blog for more information on plastic surgery and plastic surgery trends!
Let Us Help You!
Our office can provide you with helpful information, schedule a free consultation, and walk you through the many services and procedures we provide.
Contact Dr. Chang's Office:
More Articles For You
We often hear about the joy connected to jewelry but not its impact, particularly when it comes to our earrings and earlobes. Or, perhaps it isn’t beautiful, weighted earrings, but instead an injury or the typical impact of aging that’s caused an issue with one or both of your earlobes? If you need information about earlobe repair, we’ve got everything you need to know here!
Facial fat transfer is regularly performed with mini facelifts, facelifts, and eyelid surgeries. It is a permanent filler and has a high success rate, although sometimes the fat may not survive the process. Choosing to have PRP at the same time will help with the retention of fat.
Aging is a natural process of life, and the changes in our bodies happen so gradually that we barely notice anything significant happening. One of the first noticeable signs of aging is the appearance of your skin. As the skin ages, it loses the density and elasticity it once had during its youthful years, bringing out wrinkles, fine lines, and creases that weren’t apparent before. It raises the question, why does our skin age? Is there a way to prevent this?
To this day, facelifts are one of the most popular procedures in the plastic surgery industry – and for a good reason! Aging skin has been a concern for men and women alike, which is why the demand for facelifts continues to grow. Arguably, facelifts are one of the most effective anti-aging procedures with the most obvious results.