About Mini Facelift
Dr. Chang has obtained an international reputation for performing the mini facelift procedure. His procedure videos, made for visiting surgeons, have received half a million views. ( see links below ). This is a procedure that Dr. Chang has adapted so that the majority of patients could choose to have it under oral sedation in his office in Loudoun, Virginia outside of Leesburg without the need for general anesthesia.
The purpose of the procedure is to treat lower facial aging. This includes:
1. Elevation of mild to moderate jowls
2. Provide a clean and smooth jawline
3. Elevate the mid-cheek to provide a better cheek mound and sweep
4. Some improvement of the upper neck
Most patients, by the time they reach their 40s and 50s, will have some element of facial laxity and skin excess. Very minimal cases can be treated by adding volume using facial fillers or a fat transfer. Some patients with very minimal laxity can be "lifted" by a small surgical procedure called a quick lift. Most patients, however, at this age will benefit more from a mini facelift which will more naturally lift up the falling areas while hiding the scars effectively in the temple and around the ear. And this can all be performed without the need for general surgery, minimal complications, and faster recovery times.
At Aesthetica Cosmetic Surgery & Laser Center in Leesburg, VA board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Phillip Chang specializes in mini facelifts. He utilizes minimally invasive techniques for stunning outcomes and reduced recovery times. In addition, Dr. Chang will create a personalized treatment plan that is tailored to your unique needs. Most patients may also benefit from volume replacement (via fillers or a fat transfer) and nonsurgical skin care procedures to address aging in the eyes and forehead. To book a complimentary consultation, call our Leesburg, VA office today.
Mini Facelift Reviews
"Dr. Chang is the best. I've been seeing him on and off for 15 years. I've had everything from botox to a mini facelift done. I like that he is honest and will tell you what you need and what isn't worth spending money on. He is also conservative. I trust him not to make me look like I've had work done. I would not go to anyone else."- P. / Healthgrades / Mar 06, 2018
"I had another excellent surgery result with Dr. Chang. Ten years ago he did a mommy makeup over on me, and I was thrilled with the results.In April I had face surgery (mini facelift, neck lift, upper eyelids and fat transfer). The results at 3 months look great. Very natural. I still look like myself... only 10 years younger! I had never heard of fat transfer, but that ended up being the change I like the most. My face didn't have a lot of sagging. It was mostly long and drawn out due to loss of volume in my cheeks. Dr. Change fixed all of that.My friends and work colleagues think I lost some weight, or got a new haircut, or took a vacation. The truth is it was all Dr. Chang's excellent surgery skills. You won't be disappointed, and his staff is wonderful too."- K.B. / Google / Aug 07, 2016
"I had a mini facelift and a upper / lower blepharoplasty performed by Dr. Chang less than a year ago. I am very pleased with the result of the surgery. The change looks so natural -- my eyes and jowl lines are more youthful. Prior to making my decision, I researched extensively for a plastic surgeon who was rated as a top certified plastic surgeon. Dr. Chang is a true professional. He and and his staff made me feel comfortable through the process. I visited his office today for a IIPL, and will continue to visit them for any future service."- C.E. / Google / Aug 07, 2016
"I couldn't be happier with the results of my mini-face lift by Dr. Chang. I'm getting so many compliments on how wonderful I look and I feel younger. The results are noticeable, yet subtle at the same time. He and his staff are top notch. They provided excellent service and explained the procedure to me so well. I was completely confident that I would receive the best care. Thank you for a great experience!"- M. / Google / Apr 12, 2019
Ideal Candidates for a Mini Fa
Ideal candidates for a mini facelift are typically over the over of 40, in good health, nonsmokers, and have realistic expectations. You are also a great candidate if you want to:
- Elevate sagging jowls and improve the jawline
- Round out a facial profile that has turned more square
- Replace fat or volume back into the cheeks
- Reduce the appearance of deep creases and wrinkles of the nasolabial folds and marionette lines
- Reduce the appearance of fine lines in the cheeks
- Some improvement in the appearance of a drooping neck (significant droop may require the addition of a neck lift)
Your mini facelift can be performed in either the Loudoun Ambulatory Surgery Center using general or IV sedation anesthesia or in our office under oral sedation.
- If you are having your procedure at the surgery center, the procedure is generally performed under IV sedation of general anesthesia
- If you are having the procedure in our office facility, the procedure is performed under oral sedation and a long-acting injectable anesthetic.
- The procedure is best described by watching one of Dr. Chang's live videos displayed below
- The incisions are made and hidden in the hairline and in the natural contours of the ear
- The skin is then carefully elevated to expose the underlying fibrous tissue called the SMAS ( superficial muscular aponeurotic system ) and fat tissues.
- The SMAS tissue normally is the strength layer and falls with age to create the jowls... the skin just follows along for the ride
- The SMAS is carefully sutured upwards. It is the elevation of this layer that provides you with long-lasting results. Skin stretches easily and "skin-only" facelifts do not last as long. On average, a mini facelift takes about two hours to complete.
- The skin is skin is then carefully tailored and refined and then sutured closed
Possible Additional Procedures
Adding additional procedures will obvious increase your surgical time and recovery. Some common additional procedures include:
- Upper eyelid blepharoplasty
- Lower eyelid blepharoplasty
- Neck liposuction with or without a lift
- Temple or forehead lift
- Volume replacement with injectable fillers or fat transfer
What to Expect
After a mini facelift, patients commonly experience minor swelling, bruising, redness, sensitivity, and temporary loss of sensation and/or tightness in the lower face area. These symptoms are temporary and can be eased with over-the-counter pain medication.
- Most patients can return to their normal routine after 1 – 2 weeks but should avoid strenuous activities for three weeks.
- Sutures will typically be removed after 10 – 14 days.
- Compression wraps are used if you have neck liposuction or a neck lift
- Although optimal results may take up to several months, Dr. Chang will utilize multiple follow-up appointments to monitor your progression and proper healing.
- The most common complications are scar related issues. Surgical or laser scar revision requires a standard facility fee.
- Final results often yield a naturally youthful contour.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does a mini facelift cost?
The cost of a mini facelift depends on many variables including the severity of your condition, where you are having the procedure, and what additional procedures you might be having at the same time. Supplementary procedures are usually discounted.
How long will a mini facelift last?
It’s difficult to determine how long a mini facelift will last as this will vary from person to person. Although a mini facelift produces stunning results, it does not stop the aging process. Your facial tissue will continue to fall as you age, but the longevity of your results can be strengthened by annual maintenance procedures such as SkinTyte.
How do you know if you’re ready for a facelift?
This is a very subjective question. The simple answer is that you will know when you are bothered by the sagging of your face. This may be when you are in your 30s or in your 60s. We now have the techniques and technology to treat patients anywhere in between with a high level of safety and satisfaction. The average age in our practice for a mini facelift is about 45 – 55 years old. For younger patients, Dr. Chang offers a procedure called a two-stitch facelift that includes fillers and SkinTyte to provide a minor lift with no facial scars.
What is the difference between oral sedation (in the office) and general anesthesia?
Many of our facial surgeries are performed in our office surgery suite under oral sedation instead of general anesthesia. Patients who elect for oral sedation are given Valium to help them relax. The purpose is not necessarily for them to fall asleep. Once the patient is relaxed, they are injected with a long-acting medication that allows the patient to continue the procedure without feeling pain. It is important to understand that the injections may cause some minor discomfort (like a pinch), but are similar to injections for injectable fillers or BOTOX.
Can I expect my face to be completely lifted after a mini facelift?
Dr. Chang’s goal is to provide you with natural and safe results. With that being said, Dr. Chang is very conservative and cannot promise you complete and perfect elevation of the face or neck. A tight look is unnatural, risks severe complications, and usually leads to wide scars. The procedure can be expected to be about 90% effective and maybe 80% effective in elevating the upper neck skin. There is some relapse after the surgery as the aging process will continue.
Elevate your look
If you are unhappy with what the years have done to your appearance, call Aesthetica Cosmetic Surgery & Laser Center in Leesburg, VA for a mini facelift consultation. This simple procedure can elevate your look and reduce the signs of aging for a refreshed profile. Dr. Chang is a highly skilled board-certified plastic surgeon who has gained national recognition for his keen eye and natural-looking results.