About Breast Augmentation
Breast augmentation surgery is the most common cosmetic surgery procedure in the U.S. The goals of breast augmentation surgery are to provide a woman with larger but natural appearing breasts in the safest way possible.
Breast augmentation uses saline or silicone breast implants or fat transfer to add add volume and cleavage to the breast. Breast augmentation is often performed as part of a mommy makeover procedure to restore volume that is often lost after babies. It will not lift the breast or nipple position unless it is minimal. Patients need to be over 18 years old.
Quick Facts about Breast Augmentation:
- Silicone breast implants are often referred to as gummy bears
- Silicone implants are softer and feel more natural
- Large C is the most commonly desired size
- Implants are placed underneath the chest muscle
- The Keller Funnel decreases the size of your scar
- Breast implants do NOT increase the rate of breast cancer
Do you want larger breasts ?
Breast augmentation surgery is the most common cosmetic surgery procedure in the U.S. In 2016, according to statistics from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, nearly 290,000 women underwent surgery to have their breasts enlarged. The popularity of breast augmentation has nearly tripled since 1997.
Women desire breast augmentation procedures for many reasons. Central to all reasons is the desire to feel more feminine; this is particularly true in women who have relatively small breasts. While many woman seek out breast enlargement simply because they want larger breasts, most women are seeking out breast enlargement procedures to restore the volume they have lost after having children or to provide only modest enlargement to their breasts. The most common size that women usually ask for is a large C cup.
Breast enlargement surgery is as much an art as much as it is a technical procedure. For that reason, you need to be find a surgeon that you feel has a artistic eye as well as who stays on top of all of they many technical advances in plastic surgeon in general but in breast augmentation surgery in particular.
Dr. Chang provides the most advanced techniques in breast augmentation in Loudoun, Virginia. These include:
- Using the Keller funnel which allows for the smallest of breast augmentation scars, decreased rates of infection, and injury to the breast implant.
- He also uses the Vectra 3D camera that helps you choose the size of the implant and visualize the new implants on your own body in 3 dimension.
- And finally, he offers you 3 days of pain free recovery by injecting Experil ( a long-lasting pain injection) into the surrounding breast tissue. Both Saline and Silicone breast implants are available; their pros and cons will be discussed during your consultation.
Art and specialized techniques is what you will have if you choose Dr. Chang for your breast augmentation procedure. Leesburg, VA plastic surgeon Dr. Phillip Chang is experienced in implementing this treatment and has earned a national reputation for creating beautiful appearing breasts. When you have your consultation at Aesthetica Cosmetic Surgery & Laser Center in Leesburg, Dr. Chang will assess your aesthetic desires and concerns and inform you of all the choices available, while also customizing a treatment plan to meet your personal goals. Dr. Chang has been voted the Best Plastic Surgeon in Virginia and the Best Plastic Surgeon in Loudoun, Virgina and NOVA plastic surgery on multiple occasions. His before and after breast augmentation images have been published in national magazines including New Beauty Magazine.
HOw We Help With YOur Breast
Not all breasts are the same.... This is an important concept to understand when considering your breast enhancement procedure. Your consultation will include a discussion of how the artistic elements of enhancing your breasts will depend on the size and shape of what you have now compared to the size and shape that you want. Variables will include whether you choose a saline or a silicone implant, the shape of the implant, the placement and size of the incision, the technique used ( dual plane submuscular technique is most common ) , and whether you benefit from the quick recovery technique.
Dr. Chang's office has the Vectra Photo Imaging System! This 3-D high tech camera and software system allows you to see how implants might look on your own body. For the first time, you might be able to visualize how an implant fits your body. You can manipulate your 3D image to see you you might look from the side, from the top, or even from the bottom. There is no better tool to help you see your new size and shape. This is only available in our office in Loudoun, Virginia.
During your initial consult with Dr. Chang, the appropriate implant will be selected based on your body size and shape, as well as the results you wish to achieve. Implants for augmentation are made in an assortment of shapes, sizes, textures, and profiles — each of which are considered carefully in order to reach the wanted appearance. Still, the most commonly used implant types are silicone or saline, both widely popular and approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
*** Those considering implants made with saline must be 18 years old, while patients must be a minimum of 22 years old in order to undergo treatment with silicone. Other considerations include a form-stable implant known as a gummy bear implant and fat grafting (known as a fat transfer). In addition to the type of implant used, there are other distinct factors to decide.
- The Vectra 3 D imaging system can help you visualize what you might look like with breast implants
- Breast augmenation can be performed using Saline implants, Silicone implants, or Fat transfer
Breast Implant Size
The ideal breast size is highly subjective. Although we can suggest what size we think is most appropriate for your body, your desired size is up to you. We will help you make your decision based on showing you sample implants as well as using the Vectra 3D imaging system. Dr. Chang was one of the first to get this system in NOVA.
- The Vectra 3 D imaging system can help you choose the size of the breast implants
- Choice is up to you and depends on your body type
- Most patients choose to be a C cup or a small D cup
Breast Implant Shape
Implants come in either a teardrop or round shape. Both of these shapes are widely used; however, most of our patients decide on a round implant. It generally looks and feels more natural while adding a fullness to the top of the breast that a large percentage of patients look for. If you look at our before and after images, you might think that most patients use a shaped implant. This is the furthest thing from the truth.
Women naturally lost volume with age and pregnancies. They NEED more fullness in the upper breast. By using a teardrop implant, the problem is only exaggerated. We will discuss the importance of understanding the normal aesthetics of the breast during your consultation.
- Most patients choose a round implant but teardrop implants are available
- Teardrop implants are most appropriate for reconstruction patients
Breast Implant Profile
Implants in general come in three projections. These are high, medium, and low. A high profile implant means that for the same volume, the implant has a narrower base and project off the chest more. A low profile implant means that for the same volume, the implant has a wider base and therefore does not project as much. In general, a patient with a narrow breast width or narrow frame will benefit more from a high profile implant. This makes sense if you think that you wouldn't want a really wide breast implant width if you have a really small frame.
- Implants come as high profile, medium profile, and low profile
- The profile is in general chosen based on your frame in relation to the implant volume that you choose
Making Your Choices
We understand all of the considerations may be overwhelming, but all of these considerations will be discussed further during your complimentary consultation. In order to make an educated choice, consider the following : Dr. Chang is highly respected in his community with several awards as Best Plastic Surgeon in Northern Virginia as well as Best Plastic Surgeon in Loudoun, Virginia. His before and after pictures have been highlighted in national publications such as New Beauty Magazine. But most importantly, the quality of his skill is reflected in hundreds of reviews and can be seen in his before and after images.
- Complimentary consultations performed by Dr. Chang himself
- Choice of both Saline and Silicone implants
- Vectra 3D imaging to help with visualization of size and shape on your own body
- Dual plane surgical technique Quick Recovery Technique to get you back to your life as quickly as possible
- Long acting pain medication injected directly in to your muscle to decrease pain and recovery
- Keller Funnel is used in ALL patients to decrease complications and decrease the size of your scar!
These considerations, coupled with the expertise of Dr. Chang help to ensure the anticipated outcome is met.
Breast Augmentation Reviews
"Five Stars - This review is long over due... I had breast augmentation revision preformed by Dr. Chang almost 2 years ago. I am SO incredibly happy with my results! ... This is coming from someone who is extremely particular and can be a little high maintenance:) I have the cleavage I always wanted and my scars are minimal and well hidden under the crease of my breasts. I own a boutique with my fiance, I always get complements from my customers about how perfect my boobs are and they are shocked when I tell them I had breast augmentation! Dr. Chang is great! He stands by his work and will ensure you are happy with your results. Not to mention his office is pristine and staff is very helpful, friendly, and professional. I absolutely recommend Dr. Chang and plan to return to him for all my cosmetic wants/needs! THANK YOU Dr. Chang and staff!!!"- Anonymous / Vitals / Jan 19, 2015
"Best plastic surgeon in virginia - I was referred by friends who had breast augmentations with Dr. Chang. They were extremely happy. I just had my Mommy Makeover and I couldn't be more thrilled. He is no doubt the best plastic surgeon around!"- Anonymous / Vitals / Apr 08, 2011
"I knew that I wanted to undergo a breast augmentation years ago and decided last year that I would finally go through with it. I originally planned on meeting with a couple of plastic surgeons, but after my consultation with Dr. Chang I felt very comfortable proceeding with him. One thing that I really appreciated about Dr. Chang was that we were both on the same page about the end results I wanted to achieve (a natural and proportionate look). I felt well prepared for surgery. Prior to surgery, Dr. Chang made sure I knew that I could contact him or the office with any questions. I have absolutely no regrets and am more confident than I have ever been. Thank you Dr. Chang!"- J.M. / Facebook / Jan 25, 2018
"I went to Dr.chang to see about getting breast augmentation and possible liposuction... I have to say it was a pleasant experience from begining till the end... He was so pleasant and was completley honest with me .... he took lots of time discussing my options on size, possible lift and what was necessary and not necessary .... He even talked me outta lipo which he did not feel was necessary , which was much appreciated ,he could have made a lot more money. I would reccomend him to anyone . Everyone at the office was fantastic as well... Hands down wonderful doc and anything i need in the future will def be with him :)"- J.B. / Google / Aug 07, 2017
"I first visited Dr. Chang 9 years ago during a consult for breast augmentation/lift. Our meeting was not rushed, he listened very carefully to my questions and concerns and explained the various options I had. I left the consult knowing I had found just the right Doctor. After the surgery I had one or two questions and Dr Chang and his staff were wonderfully accommodating in handling my call made in between follow up appointments. 9 years later I am still extremely happy with my results! After several other visits to Aesthetica over the years it has been continually demonstrated to me that Dr Chang places great emphasis on providing individualized, compassionate care with nothing but the highest of standards. I've recommended Dr. Chang to all my friends and family, all of whom have had similar results and experiences!"- J.W. / Google / Aug 07, 2013
The decision to go through with mammoplasty (breast aug) surgery is a personal one for women. If you are thinking about having this procedure, it is essential you do it for yourself and nobody else. Ideal candidates should be healthy with breasts that are fully developed, and be the proper age to have implants. Individuals who are unhappy with the size and shape of their chest because they seem shapeless could benefit from this cosmetic breast treatment. Moreover, if your breasts have changed due to aging, nursing, or weight loss, this cosmetic treatment can give them life with increased shape and fullness. It is a welcomed option for those who work out with weights or have little to no original breast mass.
Surgical Technique - Placement
All breast augmentation procedures are performed at the INOVA Loudoun Ambulatory Surgery Center near Leesburg, Virginia. Incision placement, as well as implant location, are discussion points that are generally made ahead of surgery. Most breast augmentation procedures are performed using a dual plane submuscular technique combined with the Quick Recovery technique to decrease recovery time and pain.
- Step 1: The breast is injected with long acting pain medicine
- Step 2: The breast is injected with medication which decreases bruising
- Step 3: An incision is made that averages about 3 cm. The incision for silicone implants is generally placed in the under-breast crease.
- Step 4: A dual plane technique is used to create a pocket for the implant under the chest muscle
- Step 5: The implant is placed using a Keller funnel
- Step 6: Precise placement of the implant is checked with the patient in the sitting position
- Step 7: The incisions are closed in multiple layers which is then protected with a surgical tape
Incisions used partially depend on the implant type chosen. Patients who go with a saline breast implant can choose between the inframammary crease ( under-breast) incision, the transaxillary ( underarm ) incision, or the periareolar ( around the areola ) incision. These incisions all measure around 2-3 cm in length. Patients who choose a silicone implant require an 3-4 cm incision in the inframammary crease using a Keller Funnel.
Once the incision is made, a path is made underneath the subpectoral muscle using a dual plane submuscular technique. A pocket is created for the breast implant beneath the pectoralis muscle. The submuscular placement allows the muscle to camouflage the implant edges while the vascularity of the muscle helps prevent infections and capsular contracture.
No matter where the incision is placed, scarring is generally minimal. Placement and location are based upon your implant size, activity level, and body type. Breast augmentation is an outpatient procedure with the patient under general anesthesia. Following the incision, the implant chosen for enhancement will be moved through the incision opening and deposited into a surgically created pocket, and then secured into its correct position. Once the implant is in position, the incision is carefully secured with absorbable sutures below the skin surface. Each patient will be taken to a private recovery space and observed and monitored prior to being released.
- All breast augmentation procedures are performed at the Loudoun Ambulatory Surgery Center
- Breast augmentation surgery takes about 1 to 1.5 hours
- Incisions are made depending on your choice and whether you choose a saline or silicone implant
- Most procedures are performed using a Dual Plane Submuscular Technique
- Quick recovery technique is used in some patients
- Keller funnel is used in all patients who get a silicone breast implant to decrease the scar and complications
What to Expect After
Following your breast augmentation procedure, you will be instructed to continue wearing a recovery compression bra to help reduce swelling. Several days after surgery, the bruising and swelling will begin to slowly go away, and the breasts will start to look and feel normal as they fall into their new position.
A large percentage of patients can engage in everyday activities within a few days; however, physical exertion such as exercise should be delayed for a minimum of a couple of weeks. Cosmetic breast surgery results in gorgeous outcomes that feel and appear both normal and natural. This procedure oftentimes can be a life changer for many women, offering them the opportunity to feel more comfortable in their own skin.
Pain after a breast augmentation
- Breast augmentation can be a relatively painful surgery.
- Patients who choose to add Exparel can expect to be pain free for up to 3 days
- Most patients are off of narcotics after 3-5 days
Return to work after a breast augmentation
- Return to work in about 5-10 days ( but will still be sore )
- Return to light walking and 10 pound weights in 5 days
- Return to aerobic exercise and 20 pound weights in 21 days
- Drive in 7-10 days or have stopped narcotic medications for 48 hours
When will you see the final results of a breast augmentation
- Most patients will have residual swelling for up to 3 months
- Some patients will have decreased or sometimes increased sensitivity in the nipples for 3-6 months
- Final shape is not apparent for 6 months to a year
- You will be required to wear a surgical bra for about 4 weeks
- Swelling is very apparent at the to of the breast for 1 to 3 months
- The breast will not round out and completely settle for at least 6 months.
- Minor asymmetries are NORMAL.
- Most patients will return to work in 1 week after breast augmentation
- Most patients can return to light exercise in 3 to 4 weeks after breast augmentation
- Because the breast will not settle completely for 6-12 months, revisions will not be performed for at least 1 year
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the risks and complications of breast augmentation?
As with any surgery, there are associated risks. Only you can decide whether a breast augmentation can achieve your goals and whether the recovery and risk profile are acceptable to you. Fortunately, significant complications from breast augmentation surgeries are relatively infrequent.
Although infrequent, the risks and complications of breast augmentation can include
- Hematoma or bruising
- Loss of sensation of the nipple
- Widened or thickened scar
- Asymmetry (unevenness between two sides)
- Delayed wound healing with skin or tissue necrosis
- Under-correction or Over-correction
- Capsular contracture
- Unsatisfactory results that may require additional procedures. Patients will generally be responsible for any associated facility fees. Revisions are not safe prior to 6 months to a year
How much does breast augmentation cost?
Your cost for breast augmentation will vary depending on your choices and whether you are getting any other surgeries. As soon as your treatment plan is made, Dr. Chang will go over estimated costs as well as financing. To make sure you are happy with your results and they last a long time, it is better to focus on quality over low costs. The prices listed below are subject to change. Facility center fees are only estimates
Surgeon’s fee - $ 4,500.
Surgery Center Fees - $ 2,500
VIP Members may have a discounted rate
Do I need a breast lift or augmentation?
Your plan might include implants, a lift, or both. Breast lift surgery removes loose skin and raises the breasts, while implants enhance the shape and size. In your consultation with Dr. Chang, he will listen to your concerns and goals before discussing your treatment options. An augmentation and lift are usually included in a mommy makeover to revitalize the breasts after breastfeeding and pregnancy.
Can I breastfeed with implants?
If you want to breastfeed after augmentation surgery, talk to Dr. Chang during your consultation. It's usually possible to breastfeed after augmentation surgery, with the right placement and technique. Breastfeeding and pregnancy can affect your results, which is why it is better to wait until your family is complete to get breast surgery.
Can I have my implants removed?
You might decide that you would like to remove or replace your implants. Should this happen, Dr. Chang offers breast revision surgery. In revision surgery, your old implants will be either replaced with different implants or removed. If you want to have your implants removed, you might need to have a breast lift because larger implants may stretch your skin. For any concerns or questions after your augmentation surgery, schedule a consultation at Aesthetica Cosmetic Surgery & Laser Center to learn more about your options.
What happens if a silicone breast implant ruptures?
If your silicone gel-filled breast implant ruptures, it is not likely that you or your doctor will immediately notice. Silicone gel is thicker than saline, so when a silicone gel-filled implant ruptures, the gel may remain in the shell or in the scar tissue that forms around the implant (intracapsular rupture).
When a silicone gel-filled implant ruptures, a woman may notice a decrease in breast size, change in breast implant shape, hard lumps over the implant or chest area, an uneven appearance of the breasts, pain or tenderness, tingling, swelling, numbness, burning, or changes in sensation. Ruptures that show symptoms usually happen outside of the capsule. However, some ruptures are called “silent ruptures.”
A “silent rupture” doesn’t change the way an implant looks or feels to a woman because the rupture occurs within the capsule. Silent ruptures are not usually evident by a physical examination by a doctor. Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is the most effective method for detecting silent rupture of silicone gel-filled breast implants. The FDA recommends MRI at 3 years after implantation and every 2 years after that to screen for rupture. Silicone gel that leaks outside the capsule surrounding the implant may travel (migrate) away from the breast. The leaked silicone gel may cause lumps to form in the breast or in other tissue, most often the chest wall, armpit or arm. It may be difficult or impossible to remove silicone gel that has traveled to other parts of the body.
What is a silent rupture?
A “silent rupture” doesn’t change the way an implant looks or feels to a woman because the rupture occurs within the capsule. Silent ruptures are not usually evident by a physical examination by a doctor. Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is the most effective method for detecting silent rupture of silicone gel-filled breast implants. The FDA recommends MRI at 3 years after implantation and every 2 years after that to screen for rupture.
Do implants cause breast cancer?
There have been a few large studies on the risk of breast cancer after having breast augmentation. The general consensus is that there is no linkage between breast augmentation and breast cancer. The incidence appears to be the same as in the normal population; in some studies, the incidence is actually even slightly lower.
- J Natl Cancer Inst. 2006 Apr 19;98(8):557-60. Long-term cancer risk among Swedish women with cosmetic breast implants: an update of a nationwide study.
- N Engl J Med. 1995 Jun 8;332(23):1535-9. Breast implants and breast cancer–reanalysis of a linkage study.
- The FDA (Food and Drug Administration) is investigating a link between implants and ALCL (anaplastic large cell lymphoma). This isn't breast cancer; it is a cancer of the immune system. According to WHO (the World Health Organization), implant-related ALCL is very rare and if caught early, it's highly treatable. Dr. Chang encourages all patients with implants to get frequent screenings for breast cancer. You should contact Aesthetica Cosmetic Surgery & Laser Center if you see any concerns, like swelling.
Get the Look You Want
Breast enhancement surgery with implants is well sought out for many excellent reasons. This cosmetic surgery is considered safe and creates amazing aesthetic results. With numerous available considerations, you can have the bustline you have always wanted.
Why should you choose Dr. Chang to perform your breast augmentation?
Breast augmentation is not only technically demanding but it is an art that requires the highest level of surgical skill to perform to give you the best cosmetic results. For this reason, it is very important for you to choose a surgeon that not only has a high degree of surgical skill and experience, but one who who can artistically combine all of the tools and techniques available to provide you with a individualized and unique experience and natural appearing outcome.
Dr. Chang is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has gained a national reputation for providing his patients with natural and sensually feminine results. He has been voted as one of the top plastic surgeons in Loudoun and Northern Virginia year after year. His work has been featured in national publications such as New Beauty magazine and his YouTube channel which highlights his surgical techniques has attracted thousands of followers and students.
Aesthetica Cosmetic Surgery & Laser Center is pleased to offer this proven surgery and we welcome you to learn more. Contact Aesthetica Cosmetic Surgery & Laser Center in Leesburg, VA to make your initial consultation with Dr. Phillip Chang.